IAFL Asia Pacific Chapter Meeting, Bangkok, Thailand
Event date: 26 Feb 2020
Where and When
Banyan Tree Hotel
21/100 South Sathon Road
End: Sunday 1st March 2020 at 2:00 PM
Map and Directions
Welcome to the Asia-Pacific Chapter’s first stand-alone chapter meeting. We are very excited that the meeting will be held in cosmopolitan and diverse Bangkok, Thailand. We have selected a range of topics for our education program which are relevant and timely for family law in this part of the world and we have invited eminent local and international dignitaries to speak at the meeting. The Chapter has not forgotten, however, that we are being hosted in a country that has pressing social issues such as child exploitation, HIV/AIDS and homelessness. We have, therefore, resolved that the meeting will support and visit a charity, "Hands across the Water", that reflects the aims and values of the IAFL. Hands across the Water enriches the lives of disadvantaged children and communities in Bangkok and in Thailand. We invite you to support the charity during the meeting if you are able.
Bangkok – the City of Angels - is Thailand’s capital city and its most populous. It is also the world’s most-visited city, and once you’ve been, you’ll understand why. It’s a city of contrasts, with 200 year old villages sharing space with modern mega-malls; gleaming Buddhist temples side by side with vibrant nightclubs; narrow streets crammed with noodle stalls overlooked by rooftop haute cuisine restaurants. These contrasts give Bangkok its unique character. Bangkok is perfect for urban exploration: take a longboat through a floating market; cruise through Chinatown in a tuk-tuk; catch the BTS Skytrain to the nightlife district of Sumkhumvit with its cosmopolitan vibe. Foodies are well catered for in Bangkok, with every regional Thai and international cuisine found here, and that makes for one of the best dining destinations in the world.
Well-known for being the tallest luxury spa hotel in Bangkok, the Banyan Tree Bangkok boasts unparalleled panoramic cityscapes, elegantly decorated guest rooms, renowned legendary service and the club lounge with integrated spa facilities. Located in the heart of Bangkok's central business and embassy district, Banyan Tree Bangkok also affords guests great ease for shopping, entertainment and sightseeing.
The hotel’s rooms and suites are sleek and contemporary but have sophisticated design flourishes which create a warm aesthetic. The floor-to-ceiling windows ensure that natural light floods the space, as well as capitalising on the fantastic panoramic city views, for which the property is famous.
IAFL have reserved a number of rooms at the Banyan Tree which can be booked until 6th January 2020 at the following approximate rates in US dollars including breakfast for up to two people, wifi and all taxes: Horizon rooms $214, Oasis rooms $245 and Serenity Club rooms with access to the Club Lounge on 19th floor $276. Please note that there are a limited number of the Horizon and Serenity rooms and that all IAFL block rooms will be released on 6th January so please book early to avoid disappointment.
The meeting programme is outlined below.
Tuesday 25th February 2020
- The IAFL Asia Pacific Chapter will be hosting a pre-meeting Symposium in Bangkok. Although the target audience for the symposium are non-Fellows from Thailand and the Asia Pacific region, IAFL Fellows may wish to attend
Wednesday 26th February 2020
- Afternoon TukTuk visit to M R Kukrit House
- Evening Welcome Reception in the Sukhothai Gardens
Thursday 27th February 2020
- Morning Education Programme for Fellows and Lawyer Guests
- Morning Activities for accompanying and young guests: Cooking Class or Thai Massage
- Afternoon Tours for all: Royal Grand Palace + Wat Phra Kaew + Wat Pho + Wat Arun or Jim Thompson House + Suan Pakkard Palace or Charity Activity
- Evening First Timers Dinner for Fellows attending their first IAFL meeting as a Fellow and their guests to meet and mingle with IAFL Executive Committee and their guests
- Evening Dinner choices for all
Friday 28th February 2020
- Full day education programme for Fellows and Lawyer Guests
- IAFL Asia Pacific Chapter Meeting for Asia Pacific Chapter Fellows
- Full day activities for accompanying and young guests: Elephant Sanctuary or Flower Market & Royal Barge Museum visit
- Evening happy hour at Vertigo Too at the Banyan Tree for all
- Evening Dinner choices for all
Saturday 29th February 2020
- Full day tours for all - Ayutthaya or Railway and Floating
- Evening President's Dinner at the Banyan Tree Hotel for all
Sunday 1st March 2020
- Survivors Italian Lunch at La Scala
The Education Programme will cover the following topics:
- Family Law in Thailand: An Overview
- Discovery – comparison through Asia Pacific jurisdictions on available remedies
- Common Law marriage/de facto relationships
- Children, property, maintenance, inheritance and talaq in Sharia Law
- Transgender – legal rights
- International Commercial Surrogacy – ethical issues
- Abduction of Children to Non-Hague Convention Countries
The IAFL Asia Pacific Chapter are truly grateful to our meeting sponsors who help to make the meeting and its activities accessible to International Family Lawyers from around the world:
- Lander & Rogers Lawyers: Principal Sponsorship of the Meeting
- Rajah and Tann Singapore LLP: Thursday's Education Programme & Photographer
- Kolodny Law Group: Coffee Breaks for Educational Programme Thursday & Friday
- Rechtsanwaltskanzlei Dr. Alfred Kriegler: Entertainment at President's Dinner
- West Family Law Group: Entertainment at Welcome Reception
- Harris Ginsberg LLP: Friday’s Happy Hour at Vertigo Too
- Siegel & Kaufman, PC: Named Sponsor of Conference Charity "Hands Across the Water"
- Kennedy Partners: Speakers' Gifts
- Jason Walker: Named Sponsor of Conference Charity "Hands Across the Water"
- Schaffer Family Law: Pocket Programmes
We would very much welcome offers of sponsorship from Fellows, their firms or other firms wishing to develop a relationship with IAFL. All sponsors will be recognised on our website, in conference materials and during the course of the meeting, and would have the opportunity to distribute promotional material to delegates.
Please e-mail Donna Goddard at email@example.com if you are interested in sponsoring the meeting.
Online registration for the Bangkok meeting will open in late October 2019, but please do reserve your hotel rooms as soon as possible to avoid disappointment - February is peak season in Thailand.
If you would like more information about the meeting, please contact Donna Goddard at firstname.lastname@example.org.