IAFL Asia Pacific Chapter Meeting, Bangkok, Thailand
Event date: 14 Oct 2020
Where and When
Banyan Tree Hotel
21/100 South Sathon Road
End: Sunday 18th October 2020 at 8:00 AM
Map and Directions
In the light of the devastating impact that Coronavirus is having now, and is predicted to have over the coming weeks and months, IAFL feel that it would be irresponsible for us to plan to hold our Asia Pacific Chapter meeting in October 2020. We have therefore decided to postpone the conference until 1st-5th December 2021
Welcome to the Asia-Pacific Chapter’s first stand-alone chapter meeting. We are very excited that the meeting will be held in cosmopolitan and diverse Bangkok, Thailand. We have selected a range of topics for our education program which are relevant and timely for family law in this part of the world and we have invited eminent local and international dignitaries to speak at the meeting. The Chapter has not forgotten, however, that we are being hosted in a country that has pressing social issues such as child exploitation, HIV/AIDS and homelessness. We have, therefore, resolved that the meeting will support and visit a charity, "Hands across the Water", that reflects the aims and values of the IAFL. Hands across the Water enriches the lives of disadvantaged children and communities in Bangkok and in Thailand. We invite you to support the charity during the meeting if you are able.
Bangkok – the City of Angels - is Thailand’s capital city and its most populous. It is also the world’s most-visited city, and once you’ve been, you’ll understand why. It’s a city of contrasts, with 200 year old villages sharing space with modern mega-malls; gleaming Buddhist temples side by side with vibrant nightclubs; narrow streets crammed with noodle stalls overlooked by rooftop haute cuisine restaurants. These contrasts give Bangkok its unique character. Bangkok is perfect for urban exploration: take a longboat through a floating market; cruise through Chinatown in a tuk-tuk; catch the BTS Skytrain to the nightlife district of Sumkhumvit with its cosmopolitan vibe. Foodies are well catered for in Bangkok, with every regional Thai and international cuisine found here, and that makes for one of the best dining destinations in the world.
Well-known for being the tallest luxury spa hotel in Bangkok, the Banyan Tree Bangkok boasts unparalleled panoramic cityscapes, elegantly decorated guest rooms, renowned legendary service and the club lounge with integrated spa facilities. Located in the heart of Bangkok's central business and embassy district, Banyan Tree Bangkok also affords guests great ease for shopping, entertainment and sightseeing.
The hotel’s rooms and suites are sleek and contemporary but have sophisticated design flourishes which create a warm aesthetic. The floor-to-ceiling windows ensure that natural light floods the space, as well as capitalising on the fantastic panoramic city views, for which the property is famous.
Wednesday 1st December 2021
- Afternoon TukTuk visit to M R Kukrit House
- Evening Welcome Reception in the Sukhothai Gardens
Thursday 2nd December 2021
- Morning Education Programme for Fellows and Lawyer Guests
Morning Activities for accompanying and young guests: Cooking Class or Thai Massage
- Afternoon Tours for all: Royal Grand Palace + Wat Phra Kaew + Wat Pho or or Charity Activity
- Evening First Timers Dinner for Fellows attending their first IAFL meeting as a Fellow and their guests to meet and mingle with IAFL Executive Committee and their guests
- Evening Dinner choices for all
Friday 3rd December 2021
- Full day education programme for Fellows and Lawyer Guests
- IAFL Asia Pacific Chapter Meeting for Asia Pacific Chapter Fellows
- Full day activity for accompanying and young guests: Thonburi Klong boat tour + Wat Arun
- Evening happy hour at Vertigo Too at the Banyan Tree for all
- Evening Dinner choices for all
Saturday 4th December 2021
- Full day tours for all - Ayutthaya or Railway and Floating Markets or half day visit to Chatuchak Market
- Evening President's Dinner at the Banyan Tree Hotel for all
Details of the Education Programme will be added at a later date.
Our meeting agent, Corporate Travel Managment (CTM), suggested two post-meeting tours for the original Bangkok meeting to Chiang Mai and Cambodia. The quotations for the tours were only valid until 20th December 2019. Similar tours may be offered in December 2021.
The IAFL Asia Pacific Chapter are truly grateful to our meeting sponsors who help to make the meeting and its activities accessible to International Family Lawyers from around the world:
- Lander & Rogers Lawyers: Principal Sponsorship of the Meeting
- Borrelli Walsh: Welcome Reception
- Rajah and Tann Singapore LLP: Thursday's Education Programme & Photographer
- Eversheds Harry Elias: Bangkok Introduction to International Family Law Conference
- Kolodny Law Group: Coffee Breaks for Educational Programme Thursday & Friday
- Rechtsanwaltskanzlei Dr. Alfred Kriegler: Entertainment at President's Dinner
- West Family Law Group: Entertainment at Welcome Reception
- Harris Ginsberg LLP: Friday’s Happy Hour at Vertigo Too
- Kennedy Partners: Speakers' Gifts
- Schaffer Family Law: Pocket Programmes
- Aronson Mayefsky & Sloan, LLP
- Blanchfield Nicholls
- Siegel & Kaufman, PC
- Jason Walker
We would very much welcome offers of sponsorship from Fellows, their firms or other firms wishing to develop a relationship with IAFL. All sponsors will be recognised on our website, in conference materials and during the course of the meeting, and would have the opportunity to distribute promotional material to delegates.
Please e-mail Donna Goddard at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in sponsoring the meeting.
If you would like more information about the meeting, please contact Ali Massey at email@example.com.