IAFL Annual Meeting with Asia Pacific Chapter Meeting Melbourne, Australia #IAFLMelbourne
Event date: 20 Feb 2019
Where and When
Crown Metropol Melbourne
8 Whiteman Street
Melbourne, Victoria 3006
Start: Wednesday 20th February 2019 at 12:00 PM
End: Sunday 24th February 2019 at 3:00 PM
Map and Directions
Set on the shores of picturesque Port Phillip Bay, Melbourne is the southern-most city of mainland Australiaand its acknowledged cultural and gastronomic capital.
Rated by The Economist for the last 7 years running as the "World's most liveable city", multicultural Melbourne is a major Australian gateway, easily accessible for IAFL's international delegates from all parts of the globe and easy to navigate once arrived. Perfect to explore on foot or via its extensive transport network, Melbourne invites you to discover its creative culture, expressed in its food, fashion, architecture, events, festivals and arts and music scenes. And for those wanting to explore further afield, the unique attractions and natural beauty of regional Victoria are just a short trip away.
The meeting will be based in the Crown Metropol Hotel. Located in Southbank on the iconic Yarra River, with easy access to all of Melbourne's attractions, this modern stylish hotel offers fine dining, lavish accommodation and the ultimate in relaxation - along with stunning views over the city.
IAFL reserved a number of rooms at the Crown Metropol which could be booked until 17th January 2019 at the following rates: Single from AU$303 and double from AU$336 including breakfast, wifi and all taxes. From 18th January, the hotel has agreed to continue to honour the same rates as detailed above, subject to availability. If you wish to book a room at the hotel, in the first instance, please email Esther Meneses via the email below. She will advise as to whether to complete the online booking form via the link below.
Esther Meneses: email@example.com
IAFL Melbourne Papers and Resources
- Detailed Meeting Programme
- Melbourne Pocket Programme
- Education Programme
- Education Programme Materials
- Participation List
- Melbourne Fellows' Guides
- IAFL Asia Pacific Chapter AGM agenda and papers
- IAFL AGM agenda and papers
- IAFL Board of Governors Meeting agenda and papers
The meeting programme is outlined below.
Monday 18th February 2019
- The IAFL Asia Pacific Chapter will be hosting a pre-meeting Symposium in Sydney. Although the target audience for the symposium are non-Fellows from Australia and the Asia Pacific region, IAFL Fellows may wish to attend. Click here for further details
Wednesday 20th February 2019
- Afternoon walking orientation tour of Melbourne city
- Evening Welcome Reception followed by Welcome Dinner at the Crown Metropol
Thursday 21st February 2019
- Full day tour for all to the Yarra Valley taking in the Healesville Australian wildlife sanctuary, Tarrawarra Museum of Art and winery estate followed by lunch and wine blending at the Rochford winery estate
- Evening happy hour in the Crown Skybar
- Evening First Timers Dinner for Fellows attending their first IAFL meeting as a Fellow and their guests to meet and mingle with IAFL Executive Committee and their guests
- Evening Dine Arounds hosted by IAFL Melbourne Fellows for all
Friday 22nd February 2019
- Full day education programme for Fellows and Lawyer Guests
- Morning Jewish Melbourne tour with lunch for accompanying and young guests
- Afternoon Aboriginal heritage walk in the Royal Botanic Gardens for accompanying and young guests
- Early Evening Networking Event at Lona St. Kilda for Asia Pacific Chapter Fellows
- Evening happy hour and relaxed Aussie beach barbeque at Encore St. Kilda for all
Saturday 23rd February 2019
- IAFL Asia Pacific Chapter Meeting for Asia Pacific Chapter Fellows
- IAFL Annual Meeting for all Fellows
- IAFL Board of Governors Meeting
- Audrey Ducroux Memorial Lecture for all Fellows, Lawyer Guests, and Accompanying Guests: “Abuse of Power and Harassment; a global issue”, by Professor Gillian Triggs
- Lunch for all
- Afternoon Art and Laneway walk taking in National Gallery of Victoria and Melbourne laneways for all
- Afternoon MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground) & Sports Museum tour for all
- Evening President's Dinner at the Melbourne Museum for all
Sunday 24th February 2019
- Morning golf tournament at the Sandhurst Club for all
The full day's Education Programme on Friday 22nd February will consist of an "intensive" on enforcement. Expert panels will explore the recognition and enforcement of overseas family law orders and obligations around the world, over three sessions, followed by an interactive session for discussion and questions. The panels will be comprised of Fellows from Europe, Asia, the Americas, and Africa and the Pacific, each sharing interesting features of legal systems within their region. The panel presentations will involve discussions around a case study, making for informative, lively and interactive sessions for fellows and lawyer guests.
IAFL are truly grateful to our meeting sponsors who help to make the meeting and its activities accessible to International Family Lawyers from around the world:
- The Dallas Office of Holmes Diggs PLLC: President's Dinner
- The Melbourne Fellows of IAFL: Delegates' Gifts
- Rechtsanwaltskanzlei Dr. Alfred Kriegler: Pocket programmes and entertainment at the President's Dinner
- Harris-Ginsberg LLP: Audrey Ducroux Lecture
- Watts McCray Lawyers: Education Programme Friday Morning
- Kolodny Law Group: Coffee Breaks
- Pryor Cashman LLP: Welcome Drinks at Friday Aussie BBQ
- Carmen R Gillett Esq: Thursday Happy Hour in Crown SkyBar
- Our Family Wizard: Conference Wifi
- Bales Beall LLP: Photographer at the Welcome Reception
- West Family Law Group: Speakers' Gifts
- Buchbauer & McGuire PC: Photographer at the President's Dinner
- Siegel & Kaufman, PC: Welcome to Country at The Welcome Reception
We would very much welcome offers of sponsorship from Fellows, their firms or other firms wishing to develop a relationship with IAFL. All sponsors will be recognised on our website, in conference materials and during the course of the meeting, and would have the opportunity to distribute promotional material to delegates.
Please contact Ali Massey via firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in sponsoring the meeting.
Visas for Australia
To visit Australia you will either need an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) or eVisitor.
An ETA provides authorisation to travel to and enter Australia and is electronically linked to your passport. Click here to apply for an ETA.
The eVisitor Visa is a travel visa available to European Union passport holders. Click here to apply for an eVisitor.
Transport from Melbourne Airport to Crown Metropol Hotel
Taxi: Proceed to the Taxi rank and advise your driver that you are staying at Crown Metropol Hotel, located on the corner of Spencer Street and Whiteman Street. The hotel's address is 8 Whiteman Street but you will need to advise of Metropol Hotel as this address covers the entire Crown property. The price for this can range from $60.00 to $80.00 depending on traffic and tolls taken.
Sky Bus: This is an Airport to Southern Cross Station shuttle service. From Southern Cross Station you can then board the Sky Bus Hotel Transfer and proceed to be dropped off at Crown Metropol Hotel Driveway. Tickets for this are approximately $18.00 and can be purchased on the spot. www.skybus.com.au/
Private Transfer: The Crown Metropol concierge team can organise private transfers which cost approximately $130.00. To make a booking, contact the concierge team via email@example.com
Full refund of registration fee if cancellation occurs before February 8, 2019 less $100 administration fee per person (credit card costs and expenses of the administrator). No refund of registration fees thereafter. Tour and event fees are refundable if cancellation occurs before February 8, 2019 only if the Academy is not charged.
Guests aged 21 and under are not required to pay a registration fee but will pay full price for any tours or functions that they attend.
IAFL Use of your Data
Follow IAFL on facebook for more information about Melbourne, where to go & what to see:
If you have any queries about the conference, please contact:
Ali Massey, IAFL Executive Assistant